MOORHEAD - Authorities believe someone intentionally started a house fire near Concordia College here, Tuesday, Sept. 25.
A passerby reported a fire at 722 5th St. S., Moorhead, around 9:10 p.m. Fire crews arrived to find the first and second floors along the south side in flames, but were able to control the fire in about a half hour.
On Wednesday, Sept. 26, fire officials said the cause of the fire has been ruled an arson.
Moorhead Fire Assistant Chief Jeff Wallin said it is not yet known if more than one individual was involved in the incident.
The 1,500-square-foot, two-story home was built in 1902. It was purchased and is currently owned by Concordia College. The house was scheduled for demolition in October.
Officials at the scene said the house had already been emptied of all furniture. Nearby resident Lily Farrel said she believed the home has been unoccupied since the previous owner passed away earlier this year.
The fire remains under investigation. Anyone with information on the fire is asked to contact Fire Marshal Chad Stangeland at 218-299-5433.